Contact: Diane Martin
Eight new residents begin their three-year journey to become full-fledged doctors
COVINA, Calif. – Emanate Health, the largest health care system located in the San Gabriel Valley, today announced its new class of Family Medicine Residency Program physicians. They will treat patients during the next three years at Emanate Health hospitals and local community clinics to complete their formal medical education.
“We’re always excited to welcome a new class of physicians to the Family Medicine Residency Program who bring high levels of energy and enthusiasm to treating our patients on their road to becoming full-fledged doctors,” said Dr. Maili Velez-Dalla Tor, M.D., FAAFP, Director, Emanate Health Family Medicine Residency Program.
During the next three years, the eight new residents will learn about the many intricacies of family medicine care treating diverse patients. They will also participate in a series of rotations in specialty care areas including Cardiology, Neurology and Stroke, Orthopedics, Pediatrics, and Obstetrics and Gynecology to augment their growing medical knowledge.
“These residents will be challenged and empowered to quickly diagnose and treat patients of all ages and ethnicities possessing various pre-existing conditions against the backdrop of a global pandemic,” said Dr. Velez-Dalla Tor. “The complexities behind these clinical challenges will only help to make them better doctors.”
Residents will spend much of their day seeing patients at Emanate Health Queen of the Valley Hospital in West Covina and at East Valley Community Health Centers in Covina and West Covina, with other training at Emanate Health Inter-Community Hospital in Covina, and Emanate Health Foothill Presbyterian Hospital in Glendora.
The eight new Emanate Health Family Medicine Residency Program doctors (with their medical schools) include:
- Vivian Buhler, MD, University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
- Phoebe Bui, DO, Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona, CA
- Salil Chopra, MD, University of California, Riverside School of Medicine
- Felicia Cummings, MD, University of Arkansas for Medical Science College of Medicine
- Justin D’Agostino, DO, Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona, CA
- Nadine Grace-Abraham, MD, Ross University of Medicine, Bridgetown, Barbados
- Habib Haidary, MD, American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, Cupecoy, Sint Maarten.
- Angela Lowe, MD, Ross University of Medicine, Bridgetown, Barbados
The Emanate Health Family Medicine Residency Program is an innovative residency program that encourages residents to learn, collaborate and change the way we look at family medicine. The program is affiliated with the Keck School of Medicine of USC and its Department of Family Medicine. We believe that our residents are the future—a generation of physicians possessing great courage, work ethic and joy at the prospect of transforming rather than adapting to the current world of medicine.